Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving

This is my favorite holiday of the year. I've always used it to mark progress in my life. It's been a challenging year, but I'm thankful for so much. Not the least of which is my introduction to the Baha'i Faith. I'm excited because the year ahead will be filled with so much exploration.

I love ritual and at first I was disappointed to read that there is very little ritual in the Baha'i faith...but, when I started exploring people's personal blogs and reading articles about how families celebrate various holidays, I realized there may not be ritual, but there are certainly customs and traditions.

I can't wait to run through a cycle of Baha'i holy days and celebrations. I'm already planning my Ayyam-i-Ha cookies and unique gifts! Even the fast is exciting to me. Hey, I once went for ten days with no food at all, so I think I can make it.

Of course, as I write this, I realize there are more important things to discover about a faith (things other than cookies and gift giving traditions), and the reasons behind these celebrations are equally important to me, but I'm a celebratory kind of person and holidays/holy days are meant to be special.

So, here I am, on Thanksgiving and already excited about how much more I'll know and feel by this time next year. I'm so grateful for this...so grateful to have found something that interests me so much and so very grateful to already feel welcomed. It's heartwarming. Thank you.

Here are the words of Abdu’l-Baha on giving thanks.

Note: Isn't the pie spectacular? It was just about to go into the oven.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,
    So wonderful to come across your blog from a link on Baha'i Views!
    I love ritual also, I was raised Byzantine Catholic, and I have always had an appreciation for the beautiful ritual of other Faiths.
    One "bonus" for Baha'is is that they can appreciate and love the rituals of all Faiths because they are all beautiful ways of worshipping God. I can be at home in a Catholic Church and a Hindu Temple and a Buddhist Zendo. I don't know how the Baha'i Faith in the future will develop as we welcome the participation of the beautiful diversity of the human family, but it is inspiring to think about!
    Best of luck!
    Allah'u'Abha
    Anne
    http://www.anne99.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Likewise, came to your site from Baha'i Views! Your blog is certainly a first and I congratulate you for it...excited to read more of your entries. I'm part of a blog that is also a first (in a way)... an intercontinental group blog exploring world and societal affairs from a Baha'i perspective.
    http://www.bahaiperspectives.com

    Best wishes,
    Nadim

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is with thankfulness that I am reminded by reading your precious blog about the moment of spiritual transformation when the heart, having recognized the call of God, is reorienting itself, and the soul, having recognized God's Voice in Baha'u'llah's Words, is being nurtured by something mysteriously delicious which even a pie can't beat (even though that one indeed looks very yummy :-).
    To B or not to B :-) As uncertainty becomes certitude, enjoy being!

    ReplyDelete