Sunday, December 21, 2008

Happy Solstice & Sacred Jenga...

I'm sorry I've been away for awhile...I've been immersed in my work and in handmade holiday gift making. I made this little orange pomander with cloves and star anise to remind me that even though we've had our third snowstorm in two weeks, the Solstice will mark the return of the sun. Something to think about during what we think of as a cold dark season, but really, after today, the darkest part of the year is behind us (in the U.S. at least).

My friend Kelly is some kind of creative super genius and always comes up with projects that blow my mind and which don't involve major expense. I was at her house one day and saw she had set up her Jenga game and had written quotes and sayings on the pieces so that she could pull a piece here and there for inspiration. She called it Sacred Jenga.

I thought of my mother and her love of anything "daily inspiration" and decided to make her a set using a seldom used Jenga game my husband and I had around. I painted and covered the pieces with paper and then set about finding quotes and even making some up that I thought she mind find helpful. As I was cutting and painting, I thought about the Baha'i faith and the manifestations and decided to include quotes from each one. I think this would be a great idea for parents to make and use with their little children if you want to play Jenga and also encourage a little learning...(not that I oppose play for play's sake!).

I know that being new to the faith, it was fun for me to find "manifestation related" quotes...If you click on the photo the quotes are easier to read, but try to avoid it if you can...the up-close of the pieces isn't especially flattering. :) In real life they look much more well done.

It was fun spending time making a gift for my mother, but I learned a few things too...I feel like a little kid writing that!

Anyway, even for adults, it's a nice daily thought or meditation tool and made from game pieces you can find at a thrift store or yard sale for under $1.00.

There are 54 pieces, so I also included quotes from other people we admire.

I'm enjoying these snowy days spent making holiday gifts. Money is tight for us, but I find so much joy in using what I have from my own stash of supplies.

I also made this for my mother out of beads I already had on hand from when I went a little bead nutty several years ago.

I love gemstones and know the bible makes reference to several by name and I wondered about the writings of the writings of the Baha'i faith.

A little investigating revealed mentions of rubies and pearls and of course...one can't help but notice the term "Gems" here. This fascinates me because these mentions and comparisons to gems signify something thought of as valuable...gems of thought or a gem of an idea.

It's so exciting I can't stand it!!!!!

Then, of course, in the midst of all my gift making, I found something to remind me that while the material world of gift giving may be fun (and hopefully heartfelt), there are other gifts far more important.

"O son of spirit! The best beloved of all things in My sight is justice; turn not away therefrom if thou desirest Me, and neglect it not that I may confide in thee. By its aid thou shalt see with thine own eyes and not through the eyes of others, and shalt know of thine own knowledge and not through the knowledge of thy neighbor. Ponder this in thy heart; how it behooveth thee to be. Verily justice is My gift to thee and the sign of My loving-kindness. Set it then before thine eyes."
Baha'ullah.

Have a peaceful day everyone.

Off to make agave marshmallows. I'll let you know how they turn out.

5 comments:

  1. These are wonderful craft ideas. I will look at Jenga blocks in a whole new way from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite gem quotations is:

    "The Great Being saith: Regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value. Education can, alone, cause it to reveal its treasures, and enable mankind to benefit therefrom."

    (Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 259)

    To ease your search for quotes, download the Ocean program from http://bahai-education.org/

    Happy winter solstice!
    Mitko

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so talented. That necklace is absolutely lovely and the Jenga is such a great gift idea. Hope you and yours had a lovely holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the smell of cloves...makes me think of autumn and cider. :-)

    I found your blog through a google alert I have for mentions of the Baha'i Faith online. A number of people that have commented/you have linked to are friends of mine, as well.

    Anyways, I look forward to reading more about your search, and feel free to visit me over at my blog if you wish. I am also available for any questions or such things, as I love having discussions about faith and religion.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very creative with the Jenga blocks - thanks for a great idea!

    ReplyDelete