Sunday, November 23, 2008

The First Step, Start From Where You Are...

This is a journal of my exploration of The Baha'i faith. I’m still investigating. I've always been spiritual and even perhaps sort of New Agey. Until recently, I enjoyed my own spiritual practice drawing from many religions, but was never interested in declaring myself a member of any one faith.

Several months ago, I found myself yearning for more than a solo spiritual practice or an open religion. I also felt lonely for some sort of spiritual community. In many of the gatherings I've attended, we've all been openminded and while a Buddhist might share of her faith or a Christian might share of his, we've all accepted that that God/Goddesses/The Universe can be worshiped and interpreted in many ways. I've liked the openness and the respect, but inside of me something has emerged that wants more. I want community and a path of study.

I recently discovered the Baha'i Faith and am intrigued enough to want to learn more. I've explored other faiths, but have never considered joining one. Something about the Baha'i faith feels right, but I'm cautious, having never been a member of any religion. This is as close to home as I have ever felt, but I want to know more.

There are many things about the faith that are comforting to me, yet there are contradictions too. I want to take my time and make a decision based on the true belief that I can be a Baha’i full heartedly as opposed to one who ignores the rules that don’t appeal to me. I don’t have to understand the whole faith, but I have to understand more than I do now.

It’s odd, this is less about my faith in God (though I usually say Universe instead of God) than it is about my faith in myself. I’ve somehow picked up the idea that smart people don’t fall for organized religion. Of course, I know this isn’t true (right?), but I feel the need to learn for myself. To immerse myself in this is less about finding God and more about finding my path to God. I’ve been on it, yet I don’t stay on it…or rather, sometimes it’s illuminated and sometimes it isn’t.

In the end, I may have learned a lot from my study and it will simply add new understanding to the other experiences that I believe make me a spiritual person (whether I belong to a faith or not). Or I could decide to declare myself as a Baha’i.

We shall see.

6 comments:

  1. "The House of Justice, however, according to the explicit text of the Law of God, is confined to men; this for a wisdom of the Lord God's which will ere long be made manifest as clearly as the sun at high noon. (Selections from the writings of Abdu'l Baha, p. 80)

    Dear Laura, I too had many questions and doubts on hearing that only men could be elected to the Universal House of Justice. It was when I read this quote above, that something happened. I realized that I trusted Abdu'l-Baha's words, that in the future the reason will be known, though now we have no idea. This made me 'feel' my faith in a tangible way, and it was not long after that I made the commitment to join the Baha'i Faith.

    Keep up your writing! Your blog is on my list of favorites.
    Loving greetings,
    Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interestingly, the Baha'i Faith is the only major religion which was lead by a woman. The Greatest Holy Leaf, Baha'u'llah's daughter ably stayed the course of the distraught Baha'i community in the pivotal period after the passing of Abdu'l-Baha (which we commemorate tonight) and Shoghi Effendi's actual ministry (http://info.bahai.org/article-1-3-7-2.html)

    God's ways are mysterious indeed ;-)

    Keep on sharing! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this post makes me think about where I was 4 years ago or so, wrestling with this Baha'i Faith and whether or not to join. It's weird to think back because I know I had doubts, and confusion, and there were some things which seemed odd to me and kept me from the faith for a while, but at some point in my investigation that all seemed to dissipate. I wish I could point to a moment when the switch happened but I can't.

    All I know is that some people can make the decision in a heartbeat, and immediately connect, whereas others (like me, and it seems from this blog you) need to take time to investigate and explore. I think it's because of how serious this Faith is. Honestly, if it's what it claims to be then it holds us all to a high standard, and is here to unite the world, no simple task.

    And I guess that's probably how the switch happened. I came to a point where I realized that if Baha'u'llah were who He and the Baha'is claimed Him to be then He would know better than I. There came a point where I was humbled, but in a good and refreshing way.

    So investigate Baha'u'llah's life, His Words, His Deeds. If He is who He claims to be it will become apparent in time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, I'm not "New Age"-y ;) at all; quite the opposite. I have a background in science, and could never embrace anything that I felt was contrary to science. I recognise that some things are beyond science, but I could never believe something that was contrary to science. The Baha'i teachings on the distinction between science and religion struck me as the most sensible thing I'd ever heard on this issue!

    My journey began about 12 years ago. In 10 days, I will celebrate the 10th anniversary of my declaration.

    I'll be honest; there have been times that it's been difficult, and challenging. But what I have learned is that the Faith's teachings are so incredibly rich and all-embracing, that I'm confident the answers to everything are in there, if you look for them.

    Not all Baha'is are alike, and they don't have to be. The existence of Baha'is who hold quite different beliefs to your own, which I sometimes used to consider a test of my faith, are now an affirmation of it; proof that the Baha'i Faith can embrace every kind of person under the planet. God made us different - some very rational, some very perceptive; those who are raised Baha'is, and those who find a way to incorporate the Faith into their established identity; those whose daily activities revolve around the Faith, and those whoundertake secular activities in a spirit of service informed by their Faith. There is a place for us all, to learn and serve together, growing in wisdom, faith, and love.

    Best wishes for your journey.

    ReplyDelete