Monday, November 24, 2008

Refresh And Gladden My Spirit

I have so much to share of what I've discovered about the Baha'i Faith that I barely know where to begin or even when to begin since I'm kind of busy preparing for what should be a busy time of year in the studio.

I do want to write this quick post about how the Baha'i Faith doesn't have any food mandates or rules about food.

The idea being that food mandates such as, "Well, we don't eat this or that ..." create separation from one another. Of course, there is respect for religions that do have mandates, but in the Baha'i Faith they (we?) work to create a sense of oneness and avoid things which simply by their nature cause separateness, even if they seem benign.

It goes much deeper than this, but I find this one aspect interesting because one of the first things I wondered when I learned of the faith was what rules regarding diet might I have to follow if I become a Baha'i.

There aren't any (other than the fasting times).

Interestingly enough, there's also guidance on how sleeping and resting is absolutely essential. I'm notorious for making sleep a low priority and kind of like the idea of having to rest because "Hey, I'm got orders from God!" However, in all seriousness, the guidance is less about your health as an individual and more about needing to be rested and stay clear for God.

I'm not seeking religion as a means to be guilted into caring for my physical body, but I like that there are teachings (still not sure what to call them) about tending the body. I have neglected my body and frankly, need a little extra encouragement on why self-care is important.

I wrote something to a friend awhile ago about how I'm unsure about various aspects of the faith, but how I want to understand and yet, I also want to be understood. I don't know if I mean by the people in faith or by God. I'm seeing that this may not (at my early stages) be the perfect religion (view of God), but I'm giving it a fair shot and I want to be given a fair shot in return even though I'm not a perfect follower...Odd, I don't want to be judged just as I don't want to pass judgment on something I don't fully understand yet. I almost don't know what that means.

Before I close...this is my favorite Baha'i prayer...I say it three times a day.

Oh God! Refresh and gladden my spirit. Purify my heart. Illumine my power. I lay all my affairs in thy hand. Thou art my guide and refuge. I will not dwell on the unpleasant things of life. O God! Thou art more friend to me than I am to myself. I dedicate myself to thee, O Lord.
Abdu'l-Bahá

I'm not in a twelve-step program, but know the lingo and this reminds me of when I've heard people say, "turn it over to God" or "let go and let God".

At least that's what I get out of this line, "I lay all my affairs in thy hand"...though it's deeper to me because it isn't just about resting troubles in God's hands and hoping for a good outcome, it's about putting all affairs (good, bad or ugly) in God's hand or the hand of the Universe and being peaceful in doing so.

I like the line, "Thou art my guide and refuge" because it makes me feel like no one is asking me to give up control...just to come in and be part of the team. That there is guidance to be offered, but it's a creative partnership. Plus, I love the word refuge...it makes me think of safety and peace. Kind of like comfort is available too. Like suddenly realizing you have a best friend you never knew you had before and this friend has nothing personal in his or her way that could ever interfere with wanting the best for you...no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment