Thursday, December 11, 2008

Follow-Up

OK, so now I know ambergris, rose, hyacinth and musk are mentioned in Baha'i writings...and I'm sure we'll find more mention of fragrance as I explore.

Of course, these mentions are usually when comparing the love of God as sweeter than any fragrance, but one can't help but think that when Baha'u'llah was writing/speaking the message that he used scents as comparisons... so one could assume he thought the scent of rose or flowers beautiful enough to say that divine connection is even more so.

Most musk scents are synthetic these days and this is one case where I'm fine with a synthetic scent over a natural scent as real musk comes from the scent glands of animals. I had the opportunity to smell real musk once. I was in a tiny aromatherapy shop and the owner, well aware of how much I appreciate rare oils, pulled out a small box from the back room...it contained vials of precious oils from her private and not often shared collection. UGGH! That was my reaction to real musk oil from India. How gracious of me. I was honored that she shared, but would never smell it again...so strong and positivly teeming with life-force...you couldn't help but think of the poor animal that was sacrificed for our love of scent. Never again.

I was over on Baha'i Words today and today's passage (?) gave me such peace.

O God, my God! Aid Thou Thy trusted servants to have loving and tender hearts. Help them to spread, amongst all the nations of the earth, the light of guidance that cometh from the Company on high, Verily, Thou art the Strong, the Powerful, the Mighty, the All-Subduing, the Ever-Giving. Verily, Thou art the generous, the Gentle, the Tender, the Most Bountiful.

~ Abdu’l-Baha

The Gentle/The Tender combined with The Powerful/The Mighty. I love this. I've felt so much peace inside since discovering the Baha'i Faith. I've always felt a bit overwhelmed by my own desire to be tender and loving...it isn't easy because tender and loving people are often mistaken for weak people by those who don't know any better. Though, I must confess that while the words comfort me for who I know I am inside, they are also instructions because let me tell you....I have a fierce temper...and I mean fierce. I was a plate thrower as a teenager and in my twenties, and while I don't throw objects anymore, I still throw tantrums on occasion....very attractive behavior for a 39 year old! :)

It's taken me a long time to realize that I can be tender and gentle without being a doormat or losing my natural exuberance and enthusiasm for life. In the past, I've had a hard time balancing all these parts of me and I know I'm not alone.

I have a show this weekend in Madison...it's tiny and this is a relief. I can relax and have fun...but, for now, it's back into the studio to work away the night.

Thank for your helpful comments everyone.

Other news: I'm planning a trip to nearby Chicago to visit the House of Worship and to have Persian food at Reza's.

Oh, my husband hasn't been that excited about my interest in the faith and in fact, thinks the whole thing is weird (he's not religious at all-so it's not like there's conflict). He reads my studio blog daily, so I was a bit hurt and surprised when after a few entries on this one he said he thought I was way off track and that he probably wouldn't be a loyal reader.

Tonight he called (he's away on business) and said he'd like to pick me up a gift...a book on my new interest...the Baha'i Faith. He asked me for suggestions on what would be a good title for someone new. I said that I had The Prophet's Daughter and The Power of Prayer...he asked me to think about it and let him know.

Any suggestions?

It's funny....we've been together so many years and he's never shown any trace of discomfort with anything I've been interested in...from psychic readings to sacred geometry, so this was such an odd reaction from him. I think his desire to pick out a book on the faith as a gift to me is extra nice considering his feelings about this. He's a Taurus....they don't like change, so we shall see. Perhaps if he sees me becoming a little more tender and loving instead of tantrum-ey he'll get right on board! :)

3 comments:

  1. i'm reading, i'm reading.
    and learning too.
    michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. selections from the writings of Abdul-Baha, I'd suggest! just found your blog through Google Alerts, i enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. George Ronald has many great books: http://www.grbooks.com/

    And One World publications:
    http://www.oneworld-publications.com/cgi-bin/cart2/commerce.cgi?product=Bahai

    I much like a recent book on Baha'ullah by Moojan Momen (Baha'u'llah: A Short Biography) published by One World.

    Warmest greetings, Martijn (Amsterdam, Netherlands)

    ReplyDelete