Friday, December 12, 2008

It's Naive To Think We Have Any Other Choice

Just a quick note, I posted on the studio blog about this because one of my friends and customers sent me a link and I was so inspired ... I think it needs a home here too.

It's part of a project called Playing For Change that brings together musicians from all over the world to help (and inspire) peace and communities in need. It's worth watching Mark Johnson's interview with Bill Moyers. He talks about how music connects us all and he brought his small team to places (many dangerous) all over the world to record musicians...it's taken him ten years to get it this far...I cry because we need more people like him.

He got the idea one day while in the subway...he was walking by and saw monks all dressed in white singing in a language he didn't know. He looked around and realized that over 200 people had gathered, had stopped their busy day to listen to this music and realized it was a uniting factor. People have said he's naive for thinking his project could work to help unite the communities of the world...his response?

"It's naive to think we have any other choice."

Here are two very moving videos---I dare you to watch these and not fall on the floor a mess and turn into a sobbing wreck of a human being!

Stand by Me




One Love (It isn't Bob, but somewhere he's glad we got the point)

3 comments:

  1. Your reflections here continue to be fascinating. Thank you again for doing this blog.

    My hope is that you are availing yourself of local Baha'is as well as using the Internet in your investigation of the Baha'i Faith. It is the face-to-face community that provides the matrix for spiritual growth ultimately.

    It would be great if there is a Baha'i friend who can be resource for you, who can get you connected with a devotional meeting or a study circle. Baha'i life is rich. The friendships we establish are so sustaining.

    Have you connected locally?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura! I spoke with my Uncle and he would really love for me to give you his e-mail address and phone number. Could you give me your e-mail address so I can pass the information along to you?

    I only briefly perused your blog, and it sounds like the Faith has been a recent discovery in your life. My Uncle and family (and others in the community) would be more than willing to talk to you via phone or e-mail and even in person, as well as to let you know about the Baha'i events in their community. I've found that immersing myself in a culture of learning (via Ruhi circles, Baha'i deepenings, ect) really help me gain understanding to questions I have about the Baha'i Faith.

    I thought it worth mentioning that although I was raised as a Baha'i and a Catholic, I spent a few of my teenage years exploring paganism and Wicca before I began investigating the Baha'i Faith for myself. I admit, it was challenging to approach reincarnation from the Bahai perspective, I had grown attached to it too! I think there is something very comforting in the thought that we are reborn , it gives us a feeling of redemption and purpose that someday we can "break the cycle." I really loved how you wrote that you are willing to set aside these small conflictions in order to learn more about the Baha'i Faith, I think that is a very important attitude when approaching any new belief system or thought. Your posts reverberate with wisdom and I truly hope you are able to quench your spiritual thirst, whether through the Baha'i Faith or elsewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Emily--I tried emailing you directly, but it's a no reply comment (?)...

    Thank you for your comment and for your help...

    My email is tobahaiornottobahai@yahoo.com


    I so appreciate you sharing comments about reincarnation/your history....

    Take care,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete